Introduction and Features
850W of great performance in a compact chassis.
SilverStone Technology Inc. continues to focus attention on providing compact power supply solutions. Earlier this year we looked at the SilverStone SX700-LPT, which packed 700 watts into an extended SFX chassis. In this review we are going to check out SilverStone’s ST85F-PT, which packs 850W into a compact ATX enclosure. While the typical 850W ATX power supply measures 180mm (7.1”) deep, the Strider Platinum Series 850W unit is housed in a 140mm chassis (5.5”). This results in a power density of 471W per liter.
The Strider Platinum Series now includes four compact models, the ST55F-PT (550W), ST65F-PT (650W), ST75F-PT (750W) and ST85F-PT (850W), which SilverStone claims are the smallest fully modular ATX power supplies with 80 Plus Platinum efficiency. All of the Strider Platinum Series PSUs are designed to provide quiet, reliable operation. The 120mm cooling fan incorporates a Fluid Dynamic Bearing (FDB) and an intelligent fan control permits fanless operation at low power. Overall performance is optimized with tight voltage regulation and low AC ripple on the DC outputs.
SilverStone Strider Platinum Series Key Features:
• 550W, 650W, 750W and 850W DC power output
• Compact design with a depth of only 140mm for easy integration
• High efficiency with 80 Plus Platinum certification
• 100% Modular cables
• Intelligent semi-fanless operation
• Quiet 120mm cooling fan with Fluid Dynamic Bearing
• 24/7 Continuous power output with 40°C operating temperature
• Strict ±3% voltage regulation and low AC ripple
• Dedicated single +12V rail
• Universal AC input (90-264V) with Active PFC
• DC Output protections: UVP, OVP, OPP, SCP, OCP, and OTP
• Dimensions: 150mm (W) x 86mm (H) x 140mm (L)
• 5-Year warranty
• MSRP : $159.99 USD (850W model)
Here is what SilverStone has to say about the new Strider Platinum Series PSUs: "As desktop computers continue to advance toward ever more efficient and smaller designs, SilverStone is helping to drive the efficiency movement by releasing the Strider Platinum Series of power supplies. Created to be the smallest fully modular ATX power supplies with 80 Plus Platinum efficiency, they are also incredibly quiet with the ability to run in fanless mode. If the loading condition is below 20%, the fan in the power supply can remain off for silent operation during idle or low powered computing activities. Other great features inherited from previous Strider series includes ±3% regulation, powerful single +12V rail, 24/7 continuous power output, and multiple PCI-E cables. For those looking to build highly efficient systems in small footprints, the Strider Platinum is definitely the best choice.”