Final Thoughts and Conclusions
The ST85F-PT power supply is a worthy addition to SilverStone’s Strider Platinum Series lineup, which currently includes four compact models ranging from 550W to 850W and is positioned near the top of their product offerings. One of the Platinum series most unique features is the compact chassis measuring only 140mm (5.5”) deep; not bad for a 850W ATX PSU. It also features all-modular cabling, incorporates a quiet cooling fan, and is capable of running in silent fanless mode at low power levels (less than 20% load).
Note: The Strider Platinum Series also contains two high-power models (1000W and 1200W) with all the same great features but without the compact chassis. The ST1000-PT and ST1200-PT chassis measures 180mm (7.1”) deep.
The voltage regulation delivered by the ST85F-PT is very good across the board. All of the main DC outputs stayed well within SilverStone’s claimed ±3% range with the three primary rails measuring ±2%. AC ripple and noise suppression is also very good. The power supply is silent at low power levels and remains very quiet through mid-power operation. Only at the full 100% load did the fan noise really become noticeable. The ST85F-PT comes with a good assortment of all-modular, ribbon-style cables with two ATX12V 4+4 pin/EPS 8-pin, and four PCI-E connectors for multiple graphic card support. However some users may be looking for six PCI-E connectors instead of the basic four that the 850W model offers.
Bottom line, the SilverStone Platinum Series power supply delivered very good performance from a compact ATX chassis. It deserves serious consideration if you need a lot of power but in a compact chassis for your next build.
MSRP for the SilverStone Platinum Series compact chassis power supplies:
• SilverStone ST55F-PT (550W): $109.99 USD
• SilverStone ST65F-PT (650W): $124.99 USD
• SilverStone ST75F-PT (750W): $144.99 USD
• SilverStone ST85F-PT (850W): $159.99 USD
• Up to 850W continuous DC output
• Compact enclosure measures only 140mm (5.5”) deep
• Very good efficiency (80 Plus Platinum certified)
• Very good voltage regulation (±2% confirmed)
• Clean DC outputs with low AC ripple/noise
• Very quiet operation below ~60% load
• All-modular cable design with flat ribbon-style cables
• Universal AC input with Active PFC
• 5-Year warranty
• Some users may be looking for six PCI-E connectors at this power level
SilverStone Strider Platinum Series 850W Power Supply
I would like to thank our friends at SilverStone for sending us the Platinum Series 850W PSU to review – thanks!