Final Thoughts and Conclusions
The ST55F-PT power supply exhibited nearly identical test results compared to the larger ST85F-PT we tested earlier this year. The 550W unit is another welcome addition to SilverStone’s Strider Platinum Series lineup, which are positioned near the top of their product offerings. While not as significant in the 550W range, one of the Platinum series most unique features continues to be the compact chassis measuring only 140mm (5.5”) deep. The ST55F-PT also features all-modular cabling, incorporates a quiet cooling fan, and is capable of running in silent fanless mode at low power levels (less than 20% load).
Note: The Strider Platinum Series also contains two high-power models (1000W and 1200W) with all the same great features but without the compact chassis. The ST1000-PT and ST1200-PT chassis measures 180mm (7.1”) deep.
The voltage regulation delivered by the ST55F-PT is very good across the board. All of the main DC outputs stayed well within SilverStone’s claimed ±3% range with the three primary rails measuring ±2%. AC ripple and noise suppression is also very good. The power supply is silent at low power levels and remains very quiet through mid-power operation. Only at the full 100% load did the fan noise really become noticeable. The ST55F-PT comes with a basic assortment of all-modular, ribbon-style cables with two PCI-E cable/connectors to support a single high-end graphic card.
Bottom line, the SilverStone Platinum Series power supply delivered very good performance with excellent efficiency. It deserves serious consideration if you are looking for a smaller output power supply in a compact ATX enclosure with 80 Plus Platinum efficiency certification.
MSRP for the SilverStone Platinum Series compact chassis power supplies:
• SilverStone ST55F-PT (550W): $109.99 USD
• SilverStone ST65F-PT (650W): $124.99 USD
• SilverStone ST75F-PT (750W): $144.99 USD
• SilverStone ST85F-PT (850W): $159.99 USD
• Very good efficiency (80 Plus Platinum certified)
• Very good voltage regulation (±2% confirmed)
• Clean DC outputs with low AC ripple/noise
• Very quiet operation below ~60% load
• Compact enclosure measures only 140mm (5.5”) deep
• All-modular cable design with flat ribbon-style cables
• Universal AC input with Active PFC
• 5-Year warranty
• Premium price for 80 Plus Platinum certification
SilverStone Strider Platinum Series 550W Power Supply
I would like to thank our friends at SilverStone for sending us the Platinum Series 550W PSU to review – thank you.