Final Thoughts and Conclusions
During previous reviews of both the original EVGA G2 and G2L power supplies we found they delivered excellent performance with minimal noise. Now EVGA has raised the bar even higher with the introduction of the new G3 Series. Voltage regulation and AC ripple suppression are outstanding and as good as or better than before.
The EVGA 550W Supernova G3 power supply exhibited outstanding voltage regulation on all of the DC outputs along with excellent AC ripple and noise suppression. The power supply features a good assortment of modular cables and delivers great efficiency, easily meeting the 80Plus Gold criteria.
The 550W G3 PSU incorporates EVGA’s ECO Thermal Control System, which allows the power supply to operate in silent, fan-less mode at low to mid power levels. The warranty period is 7 years for the 550W and 650W model and 10-years for the 750W, 850W and 1000W units. Overall, an outstanding new power supply from EVGA.
As you might expect, introductory pricing is still a little on the high side compared to other 80 Plus Gold PSUs in the same power range. However, prices may fall as these new units become more widely available.
The MSRP for the EVGA Supernova G3 Series power supplies:
• EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G3 ($89.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3 ($109.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 ($129.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3 ($139.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G3 ($159.99 USD)
• 550W up to 1000W of Continuous DC output at 50°C
• 80 PLUS Gold certified, with up to 92% efficiency
• Outstanding voltage regulation (±1%) on the three primary outputs
• Very clean DC outputs (low AC ripple and noise)
• Very quiet 130mm cooling fan with a hydraulic dynamic bearing
• ECO Thermal Control allows silent, fan-less operation at low to mid power
• Compact chassis measures only 150mm (5.9”) deep
• Good assortment of fully modular cables
• NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire Ready
• All Japanese made capacitors for long life and reliable operation
• 7-Year or 10-Year warranty
• Pricing is still a little on the high side
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Series Power Supply
Our thanks to EVGA for sending us the 550 G3 PSU to review – thank you!