Final Thoughts and Conclusions
The overall performance of the new Supernova 850W G3 power supply was phenomenal. It is amazing how far PC power supplies have come in recent years. Voltage regulation and AC ripple suppression are as good as we have seen and stand head-to-head with Seasonic’s new PRIME units.
The EVGA 850W Supernova G3 power supply exhibited only a few hundredths of a volt drop on any of the three primary outputs going from a combined output of 85W to 850W. The maximum AC ripple and noise barely went over 10 mV p-p, which is again outstanding. And the power supply features an excellent assortment of modular cables and delivers great efficiency, easily meeting the 80Plus Gold criteria.
The 850W G3 PSU incorporates EVGA’s ECO Thermal Control System, which allows the power supply to operate in silent, fan-less mode at low to mid power levels. The warranty period is 10 years for the 850W and 1000W models and 7-years for the 550W, 650W and 750W units. And don’t forget the chassis is only 150mm (5.9”) deep – not bad for an 850W power supply.
The MSRP for the EVGA Supernova G3 Series power supplies:
• EVGA SuperNOVA 550W G3 ($99.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G3 ($109.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G3 ($129.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3 ($149.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 1000W G3 ($169.99 USD)
• 850W of Continuous DC output at up to 50°C
• 80 PLUS Gold certified, with up to 92% efficiency
• Outstanding voltage regulation (±1%) on the three primary outputs
• Outstanding AC ripple and noise suppression
• Very quiet 130mm cooling fan with a hydraulic dynamic bearing
• ECO Thermal Control allows silent, fan-less operation at low to mid power
• Compact chassis measures only 150mm (5.9”) deep
• Excellent assortment of fully modular cables
• NVIDIA SLI & AMD Crossfire Ready
• All Japanese made capacitors for long life and reliable operation
• 10-Year warranty
• I personally would prefer to see the 24-pin ATX, one 4+4 pin CPU, and a pair of PCI-E cables fixed instead of being totally modular.
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Series Power Supply
Our thanks to EVGA for sending us the 850 G3 PSU to review – well done!