Perhaps someone at Youtube noticed that most people flip to another tab or browser window during those unskippable ads that are frequently played at the beginning of videos. Whatever the cause of the sudden outbreak of common sense, as of 2018 there will no longer be 30 second long ads which are unskippable. This does not mean you will be free of ads, there will instead be unskippable ads of 15-20 seconds for you to ignore and you will still have ads in the middle of long videos. They do have to sell more Red subscriptions after all. Slashdot has linked to the original statement if you seek confirmation.
"We're committed to providing a better ads experience for users online. As part of that, we've decided to stop supporting 30-second unskippable ads as of 2018 and focus instead on formats that work well for both users and advertisers," Google said."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Web servers used by disk-nuking Shamoon cyberweapon @ The Register
- Anonabox FAWKES Tor Router Review @ OCC
- Mozilla Will Deprecate XUL Add-ons Before the End of 2017 @ Slashdot
- Haven't deleted your Yahoo account yet? Reminder: Hackers forged login cookies @ The Register
- Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PRO Wi-Fi Access Point (UAP‑AC‑PRO) @ Custom PC Review