There are now two less working Ryzen 1700 processors on the planet, sacrificed in an experiment to delid the new AMD products. The third lived and was tested by der8auer, the mad experimenter, to see what benefits cooling the die directly provide. The answer is a 2C drop. This does not seem worth it, considering the high risk, an opinion that Guru 3D shares. You can of course proceed to do so if you wish, but you might want to buy a half dozen processors to save yourself some time.
"We mentioned in our reviews that you should not delid AMD Ryzen processors for the sheer fact that even the heatspreader has sensors and that it is soldered. Next to that AMD did the cooling part rather well so the benefits of a lower temperatures versus the risk of bricking that processor might not be worth it."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Plex launches Cloud-based media servers for your mp3 and video collection @ The Inquirer
- Oculus CTO Carmack is suing Zenimax for $22.5m over sales of Doom studio @ The Inquirer
- Security Oops! 185,000-plus Wi-Fi cameras on the web with insecure admin panels @ The Register
- MAC randomization: A massive failure that leaves iPhones, Android mobes open to tracking @ The Register
- Microsoft to close its social network on a week's notice – and SIX people complain @ The Register
- The AMD Ryzen 7 Gaming Performance Examined @ TechARP