BMW's self driving car division asked Intel and Mobileye to partner together to design the iNext spin off of BMW's electric car division. Mobileye specializes in sensors and software for autonomous or assisted driving, Tesla used their products in the Model S. Their success has not gone unnoticed and today they are Intel's latest acquisition in the IoT market, purchased for a total of roughly $15.3 billion, US. Expect to see more Intel Inside stickers on cars, as they have recently purchased another IoT firm specializing in chip security as well as one focused on computer vision. Pop by The Inquirer for links to those other purchases.
"On Monday, Intel announced that it has purchased the company for £12.5bn, marking the biggest-ever acquisition of an Israeli tech company. It's also the biggest purchase of a company solely focused on the autonomous driving sector."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- 6 of the most useful Google things no one uses @ The Inquirer
- Malware infecting Androids somewhere in the supply chain @ The Register
- IBM pushes blockchain system for e-transaction @ DigiTimes
- Q Has Nothing on Naomi Wu @ Hack a Day
- User lubed PC with butter, because pressing a button didn't work @ The Register
- Tim Berners-Lee says privacy needs fixing – and calls for 'algorithmic transparency' @ The Register
- Arozzi Arena Gaming Desk Review @ NikKTech