Phoronix have had a chance to test out the refreshed Polaris RX 580 on the Linux 4.11 kernel and Mesa 17.1-devel, initially the AMDGPU-PRO 17.10 driver update was not included thanks to interesting timing. The performance deltas are as you would expect, a slight increase in performance that is relative to the increased clock speeds, just as when run on Windows. They also had a chance to try overclocking the new card, AMD added support for overclocking GCN 1.2 and newer cards on their proprietary Linux driver in 2016. They managed to increase the core by 6% without running into stability issues however when they overclocked the memory, they saw serious performance decreases. Check out the steps they tried along with the results from the overlocked GPU here.
"Yesterday I posted the initial Radeon RX 580 Linux benchmarks while now with having more time with this "Polaris Evolved" card I've been able to try out a bit more, like the AMDGPU Linux overclocking support. Here are the ups and downs of overclocking the Radeon graphics card under Linux."
Here are some more Graphics Card articles from around the web:
- Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 570 4GB @ eTeknix
- PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 570 4GB @ eTeknix
- XFX RX 460 4GB Slim Single Review @ OCC
- Palit GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GameRock Premium 11 GB @ techPowerUp
- MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X PLUS 8G @ Guru of 3D
- MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus 11 Gbps 8 GB @ techPowerUp
- Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11GB @ Kitguru
- Phanteks Glacier 1080 GPU Waterblock @ techPowerUp
- PNY GTX 1070 XLR8 OC Gaming 8GB @ eTeknix
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Mini ITX OC 6GB @ eTeknix
With GPUs priced according to
With GPUs priced according to their Windows performance, AMD’s considerably worse Linux drivers mean they’re largely uncompetitive, which is a pity.
I’m in the market for a ~200 euro GPU for OpenCL on Linux and considering its higher theoretical peak compute and Nvidia’s focus on CUDA, Polaris should be head and shoulders above GP 106, but in practice it’s the other way around.