SYSmark, WebXPRT, 7-zip
For this review, every single benchmark and test scenario we use has been updated or removed, including a couple of new entries. We are using the most up to date versions of each software as of last week, to make sure we account for any changes or architectural changes that have occurred. Here is the new suite, in alphabetical order.
- 3DMark Fire Strike
- 7-zip Compression
- Audacity MP3 Encode
- Cinebench R15
- Civilization VI
- Euler 3D
- MS VC++ Compiler
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- SiSoft Sandra
- SYSmark 2014 SE
- X264 Encode
The full testbed configuration is listed below.
|Test System Setup|
|CPU||AMD Ryzen 3 1300X
AMD Ryzen 3 1200
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
Intel Core i5-7600K
Intel Core i5-7500
Intel Core i3-7350K
Intel Core i3-7100
Intel Pentium G4560
|Motherboard||MSI B350 Tomahawk (Ryzen 5/3)
ASUS Prime Z270-A (Kaby Lake, Skylake)
16GB DDR4-3200 (OC testing)
|Storage||Corsair Force GS 240 SSD|
|Graphics Card||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB|
|Graphics Drivers||NVIDIA 378.49|
|Power Supply||Corsair HX1000|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Pro x64|
SYSmark 2014 SE
SYSmark® 2014 SE (Second Edition) is an application-based benchmark that reflects usage patterns of business users in the areas of Office Productivity, Data/Financial Analysis and Media Creation. Joining these in SYSmark 2014 SE is a new Responsiveness scenario which models ‘pain points’ in the user experience when performing common activities. SYSmark 2014 SE features the most popular applications from each of their respective fields.
The SYSmark 2014 SE performance data puts the Ryzen 3 processor at the bottom of the pile across the board here, even in the tests we know to be more multi-threaded than the others, like Media Creation. Clearly the test favors the responsiveness and high clock speeds that the Intel Core series of processors can provide.
Total consumed power during the test is comparable between the Ryzen 3 CPUs and the Ryzen 5/Core i5 hardware.
It runs these four tests seven times each:
- Photo Enhancement: Measures the time to apply three effects (Sharpen, Emboss, and Glow) to two photos each, a set of six photos total.
- Organize Album: Measures the time it takes to check for human faces in a set of five photos.
- Stocks Option Pricing: Measures the time to calculate financial indicators of a stock based on historical data and display the result in a dashboard.
- Local Notes: Measures the time to store notes securely in the browser's local storage and display recent entries.
- Sales Graphs: Measures the time to calculate and display multiple views of sales data.
- Explore DNA Sequencing: Measures the time it takes to filter eight DNA sequences for specific characteristics.
WebXPRT is another test that finds the AMD Ryzen 3 hardware at the back of the group, falling behind even the Pentium G4560 processor that sells for $80 with a dual-core/four-thread configuration.
The Ryzen 3 processors are the lowest scores in our 7zip single threaded results though the story changes when we get to four-thread usage levels. There the Ryzen 3 parts are well ahead of the Core i3 and getting close to matching performance of the Core i5 competitors.