NVIDIA has previously shown their interest in providing the brains for autonomous vehicles, their Xavier chip is scheduled for release some time towards the end of the year. They are continuing their efforts to break into this market by investing in start ups in a program called GPU Ventures. Today DigiTimes reports that NVIDIA purchased a stake in a Chinese company called Tusimple which is developing autonomous trucks. The transportation of goods may not be as interesting to the average consumer as self driving cars but the market could be more lucrative; there are a lot of trucks on the roads of the world and they are unlikely to be replaced any time soon.
"Tusimple, a Beijing-based startup focused on developing autonomous trucks, has disclosed that Nvidia will make a strategic investment to take a 3% stake in the company. Nvidia's investment is part of a a Series B financing round, Tusimple indicated."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Microsoft launches Outlook.com beta because it's not Gmail or Yahoo @ The Inquirer
- Intel will unveil 8th-gen 'Coffee Lake' processors on 21 August @ The Inquirer
- Microsoft Dumps Notorious Chinese Secure Certificate Vendor @ Slashdot
- It's 2017 and Hyper-V can be pwned by a guest app, Windows by a search query, Office by… @ The Register
- Core-blimey! Intel's Core i9 18-core monster – the numbers @ The Register