The question is if installing the XSPC RayStorm Threadripper waterblock on an AM4 actually improves your systems thermals. [H]ard|OCP tested out the difficulty of the installation process and the performance of the cooler on a Ryzen 7 1700X overclocked to 4GHz. The mounting worked exactly as advertised, mating perfectly with the AM4 processor; the performance on the other hand demonstrates the advantage of using coolers specifically designed for your processor.
"If you could mount your Threadripper custom cooling waterblock on your socket AM4 Ryzen 7 CPU, wouldn't you? Of course the answer is yes. However, the results turned out a bit different than we thought those might."
Here are some more Cases & Cooling reviews from around the web:
- Game Max Iceberg 240mm Liquid Cooler @ Kitguru
- Swiftech Apogee SKF "Heirloom Series" CPU Water Block @ techPowerUp
- Thermaltake View 27 Snow Gull-Wing @ [H]ard|OCP
- CRYORIG H7 Quad Lumi @ techPowerUp
- Be quiet! Shadow Rock TF 2 CPU Cooler Review @ NikKTech
- Gigabyte ATC700 AORUS CPU cooler @ Guru3D
- Corsair Commander Pro: fan, lighting, temperature control w/ Link @ Kitguru
- Rosewill ORBIT-Z1 @ techPowerUp
- Fractal Design Meshify C @ Guru3D
- Mean:IT 5PM LUM RED Case @ Modders-Inc
- Game Max Moonstone (Tempered Glass w/ RGB Fans) Case @ Kitguru
HardOCP even admits:
HardOCP even admits:
“Keep in mind that for this testing we are still using our own mounting hardware. (XSPC mounting hardware came in while writing this.) When sharing the results of the test XSPC told us, “It could be down to the mounting hardware. In our own testing the sTR4 block is came out slightly on top, but there wasn’t a significant difference.” ”
Maybe a few other sites will do this, maybe even GamersNexus(After they are finished with their Vega MSRP pricing Rants) as they appear to like this sort of testing(And Ranting and oh does GN love to Rant). But at least we know that the TR waterblocks can be used and I’ll wait for some different sites to try this same test with this and other makers’ TR water-blocks. HardOCP can be very sloppy with their tsting at times, so mabye other will try this also.
The mating was excellent and
The mating was excellent and as Kyle stated, they now have XSPC's mount and will be testing it.
All water coolers are
All water coolers are actually air coolers
Heavy and unsuccessful
The air is cooling the water