The 12TB WD Gold is not quite as impressive as Toshiba's 14TB drive but it should be more affordable for consumers with specific needs or for SMBs. Like the Toshiba drive it uses PMR as opposed to a shingled design, which again helps keep the drive's price under $600 and in the price range Ryan would like to see SSDs reach. The drive is rated at 2.5 million hours MTBF and as far as performance, Kitguru saw 245.58MB/s for writes and 237.01MB/s reads. This is not a drive for most, but for those with huge amounts of data who need to be able to move it frequently and at decent speeds, this review is worth looking at.
"Western Digital’s Gold range of hard drives have been designed to service nearline enterprise environments and as such they have a range of sensors and technologies onboard to help them maintain peak performance in such environments."
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- HP SSD M700 @ Benchmark Reviews
- LaCie 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 @ Kitguru
- Synology DiskStation DS418play NAS @ Modders-Inc
- ASUSTOR AS6302T NAS Server Review @ NikKTech
- Synology DS918+ 4-Bay NAS @ TechPowerUp
- SilverStone TS421S 4-Disk SATA/SAS Disk Enclosure @ Phoronix
- Thecus N4350 4-Bay NAS @ Kitguru
- Synology DiskStation DS418j @ Kitguru