The PM01 Gets an Upgrade
A new version of the PM01 with RGB and tempered glass
SilverStone’s Primera PM01-RGB is an updated version of the PM01 we reviewed last year, and in addition to new RGB lighting effects indicated by the name, the PM01-RGB also features a tempered glass side panel rather than the plastic window of the first version. We will take a look at the matte black version – (glossy black and white are also available) and see how it performs.
SilverStone fans will likely have noticed that the Primera PM01 had some of the Raven DNA, with a sloping top panel and slightly aggressive style, though somewhat softer than cases like that first RV01 enclosure. The Primera PM01-RGB is a standard ATX mid-tower, and due to a large partition hiding the lower section of the case it is a little smaller internally that it appears from the outside.
While things were a little tight with a liquid cooler installed on the upper mounts with our PM01 last year, the case still held a standard build without issue and offered very good cooling thanks to the large mesh front panel and included intake fans. And it’s this front intake area that provides much of the difference this time around, as it now features RGB lighting for the fans along with an integrated light strip for the side panel, both of which are managed with an onboard LED control (or ASUS Aura Sync with compatible motherboards).
- Material: Plastic outer shell, steel body, tempered glass side panel
- Colors: Matte black (PM01C-RGB), glossy black (PM01B-RGB), white (PM01W-RGB)
- Motherboard: ATX (up to 12" x 10.7"), Micro-ATX
- Expansion slots: 7
- Drive bays (internal) 2.5"/3.5" x4, 2.5" x5
- Cooling system:
- Front: 3x 120/140 mm fan slot (includes 3x 140 mm fan + RGB LED fan guards)
- Rear: 1x 120/140 mm fan slot (includes 1x 140 mm fan)
- Top: 3x 120 mm fan slot or 2x 140mm fan slot
- Radiator support:
- Front: 2x 120 mm; 1x 240/280/360 mm
- Rear: 1x 120/140 mm
- Top: 2x 120 mm; 1x 240/280/360 mm
- Front I/O ports:
- USB 2.0 x2
- USB 3.0 x2
- Audio x1
- Mic x1
- Component clearance:
- GPU length up to 419 mm (16.5"), width up to 174 mm (6.88")
- CPU cooler: 180 mm
- PSU: 240 mm
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 220 x 571 x 560 mm (8.66 x 22.48 x 22.05 inches), 70.3 Liters
- Weight: 10.1 kg (22.27 lbs)
- SilverStone Primera PM01-RGB: $159.99 – Amazon
Other than the side panel (and integrated lighting system) we are looking at the same design as the first PM01 case:
The tempered glass has the typical dark tint found on enclosure side panels, and adds a lot to the look of the case.
The top I/O sits on the right side, and includes the usual connectivity. Power and RGB control buttons are on the left and right edges.
The top of the case slopes back to front, and the rear has an interesting grill design. This is also unchanged from the first PM01.
The glass side panel has rubber washers integrated into mounting holes, which is a nice touch considering most tempered glass panels simply have bare holes for the mounting screws.
It’s a little thing, but he first time you lose a rubber washer for a glass side panel you’ll wish it was mounted in the glass like this.