The SSD Review has posted a general guide on SSDs and how to ensure you pick the right one. There are a huge variety of SSDs on the market now, from the original 2.5" SATA drives straight through to M.2 NVMe gum sticks. Their guide will ensure you know the importance of matching your motherboard to an SSD, to ensure compatibility and performance as well as covering software and firmware updates. For the more experience, they also delve into the various UEFI/BIOS settings you should look at to balance performance, stability and possibly battery life. It is a bit of a long read but worth it if you are feeling confused.
"This report will be chronological, explaining what needs to be considered in your build including motherboard, SSD selection and installation, UEFI/BIOS settings, OS installation, and finally, SSD optimizations that should be considered."
Here are some more Storage reviews from around the web:
- Samsung SSD 860 PRO @ Benchmark Reviews
- Samsung 860 EVO M.2 @ SSD Review
- Samsung SSD 860 EVO @ Benchmark Reviews
- ADATA SX950 @ Modders-Inc
- ADATA Gammix S10 m.2 @ Benchmark Reviews
- ADATA Gammix S10 512 GB @ TechPowerUp
- ADATA XPG Gammix S10 M.2 NVMe @ The SSD Review
- Crucial MX500 500GB SSD @ NikKTech
- MyDigitalSSD SBX M.2 NVMe @ The SSD Review
- A Look At Samsung’s Ultra Small, Ultra Fast & Ultra Portable SSD T5 500GB @ Techgage
- SilverStone ECM22 M.2 to PCIe Expansion Card Review @ Hardware Asylum
- Western Digital My Passport Wireless @ The SSD Review
- ICY DOCK ICYRaid Dual Bay 3.5" USB 3.0 External RAID Enclosure Review @ NikKTech
- SilverStone TS12C Dual Drive Docking Station @ Benchmark Reviews
- Synology DiskStation DS218j 2-bay NAS @ Kitguru
So this is for reviewers, not
So this is for reviewers, not consumers.
I’m not 100% sure, but I think my MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3) can only use a SATA drive?
Yes, it does have PCIE 3, but I don’t think the BIOS allows you to boot from it. Though I did find one forum report that managed to get a BIOS modification to boot one on it or a similar board (with some major limitations), but, or so, I’m not willing to risk it.
Pretty sure anything pre 1150
Pretty sure anything pre 1150 won’t boot
What again is Ryan’s Law? Is
What again is Ryan’s Law? Is that to wait for 10 cents per GB on SSD’s?
Ryan’s Law – If an SSD is not
Ryan’s Law – If an SSD is not for sale at or under 10c/GB then it’s not worth Ryan’s time.