Final Thoughts and Conclusions
Overall the Enermax Platimax DF 850W power supply performed quite well during our testing. The Platimax DF produced very good DC voltage regulation with all three of the main outputs staying within ±2% of the target values. The power supply also exhibited excellent efficiency, easily meeting the criteria for 80 Plus Platinum certification, even while operating on 120 VAC and at elevated temperatures. The AC ripple and suppression was also good.
The Platimax DF 850W PSU has a good assortment of fully-modular cables that include six VGA/PCI-E connectors and two 4+4 pin CPU connectors. Each individual wire is sleeved, not the cable bundle, so keep the included cable and wire ties handy during installation. The large 140mm fan doesn’t spin up until you hit 30-40% load so the PSU is silent and low power and stays relatively quiet through mid-power. One of the Platimax DF PSU’s more unique features is the Enermax Dust Free Rotation™ fan technology, which works by briefly spinning the fan in the opposite direction to keep dust from building up on the fan blades.
The Enermax Platimax DF 850W Platinum power supply is currently available with an MSRP of $249.99 USD, but it is currently selling online for $199.99 USD (amazon.com March, 2018).
• 850W Continuous DC output at up to 50°C
• 80 PLUS® Platinum certified for high efficiency
• Enermax patented Dust Free Rotation™ fan technology
• Multi GPU support with six PCI-E 6+2 pin connectors
• Fully-modular cables
• Quiet 140mm Twister-bearing fan (160,000 MTBF)
• Semi-fanless operation (below 30-40% load)
• All Japanese made electrolytic capacitors 105°C
• Safety protections: OCP, OVP, UVP, OPP, SCP, OTP, and SIP
• 10-Year warranty
• Individually sleeved wires may not appeal to everyone
Enermax Platimax DF 850W Power Supply
Our thanks to Enermax for sending us the Platimax DF 850W PSU to review.