SYSmark, WebXPRT, 7-Zip
- 7-zip Compression
- Audacity MP3 Encode
- Cinebench R15
- Euler 3D
- SiSoft Sandra
- SYSmark 2014 SE
- X264 Encode
The full testbed configuration is listed below:
|Test System Setup|
AMD Ryzen 3 1200
|Motherboard||ASUS Crosshair VII Hero (Zen+) – Pre-launch BIOS
Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 (Coffee Lake) – BIOS F5m
ASUS Crosshair VI Hero (Zen) – BIOS 6001
ASUS Maximus IX Code (Kaby Lake) – BIOS 1203
16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200
Operating at:2400MHz (Kaby Lake)
2667MHz (Zen, Coffee Lake)
2933 (Zen+, Raven Ridge)
|Storage||Corsair Neutron XTi 480 SSD|
|Graphics Card||NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB|
|Graphics Drivers||NVIDIA 390.77|
|Power Supply||Corsair RM1000x|
|Operating System||Windows 10 Pro x64 RS3, fully updated as of 4/1/2017|
In regards to potential issues around the Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities and their associated patches, all test systems were running Windows 10 Pro RS3, fully patched as of April 1, 2017. In addition, all motherboards were using the latest UEFI firmware (exact versions listed above).
SYSmark 2014 SE
SYSmark® 2014 SE (Second Edition) is an application-based benchmark that reflects usage patterns of business users in the areas of Office Productivity, Data/Financial Analysis and Media Creation. Joining these in SYSmark 2014 SE is a new Responsiveness scenario which models ‘pain points’ in the user experience when performing common activities. SYSmark 2014 SE features the most popular applications from each of their respective fields.
SYSmark shows a bit of a mixed bag for AMD's new Ryzen 2000 series CPUs. The Ryzen 7 2700X falls short to the Intel Core i7-8700K by almost 15%. However, the Ryzen 5 2600X and the Core i5-8600K are remarkably well matched, coming in neck-and-neck in the SYSmark Overall score.
Generationally, the Ryzen 7 2700X provides about an 8% improvement over the previous highest-end AM4 part, the R7 1800X. This shows strong growth for AMD's new Zen+ CPUs over their flagship processors from just a year ago.
It runs these four tests seven times each:
- Photo Enhancement: Measures the time to apply three effects (Sharpen, Emboss, and Glow) to two photos each, a set of six photos total.
- Organize Album: Measures the time it takes to check for human faces in a set of five photos.
- Stocks Option Pricing: Measures the time to calculate financial indicators of a stock based on historical data and display the result in a dashboard.
- Local Notes: Measures the time to store notes securely in the browser's local storage and display recent entries.
- Sales Graphs: Measures the time to calculate and display multiple views of sales data.
- Explore DNA Sequencing: Measures the time it takes to filter eight DNA sequences for specific characteristics.
WebXPRT shows a trend similar to SYSMark's results. While the i7-8700K outclasses the R7 2700X by the tune of around 15%, the R5 2600X actually manages to best the i5-8600K by 5%.
While the i7-8770K manages to outperform the Ryzen 7 2700X by an order of 5-10% throughout the 7-Zip testing, the Ryzen 5 2600X maintains a huge advantage over the i5-8600K.
The additional cores and threads available with the Ryzen 5 part mean up to a 15% increase at the highest 7-Zip simultatenous thread counts.