Solar Warden is a Kickstarter project running for six more days with a fairly low target of $40K US and it has a demo out which you can load up to try. It is still very much a work in progress but gives you an idea of the overall scope of the game. There are financial mechanics similar to X-COM in that you have to keep the various countries of the world happy so they will continue to finance your war against outer space Kinder eggs of the worst kind. These falling rocks often contain some nasty silicon-based enemies seeking to devour the Earth while you seek to stop them, either through letting the AI handle your ships or by taking direct control of them for Freelancer style dogfights.
You can check out the launch trailer at Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN, install the demo to see if what you think or just head to Kickstarter to back it as I have.
"The Solar Warden demo is still pretty early and unoptimised, and drops you right in at the deep end with little to no tutorial so brace yourself for a rough ride unless you’re a combined X-Com and X-Wing veteran."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Destiny 2: Warmind review: Everything old is new(ish) again @ Ars Technica
- Rage 2 announced with blast of colours @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Humble Multiplayer Bundle
- Bigben buying Styx & Blood Bowl devs Cyanide Studio @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Stalker 2 announced by GSC Game World @ HEXUS
- The Swords of Ditto Review @ OCC