It has finally happened, the application of blockchains to everything under the sun has now grown to encompass a game, aptly called Blockchain Tycoon. In it, you virtually mine virtual currency, using that to purchase more systems to add to your mining power so that you can mine faster and buy more GPUs and so on and so on. From the playthrough Rock, Paper SHOTGUN tried, within 10 minutes you are dumping your GPUs for ASICs but sadly there is no mechanic to sell those GPUs to unsuspecting eBay shoppers to buy more ASICs or upgrade your HVAC.
In short the game sounds every bit as fun as actual cryptocurrency mining, except you don't actually lose your shirt when the market crashes … again.
"This week, Fraser’s delving into the confusing world of cryptocurrencies in Blockchain Tycoon. What is a blockchain? Why are people mining them? Are there tiny digital pickaxes? A lot of questions need to be answered."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- GOG Launches FCKDRM To Promote DRM-Free Art and Media @ Slashdot
- Here's a list of every game that's going to look amazing on the Nvidia RTX 2080 and 2080Ti @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- ROM sites are falling, but a legal loophole could save game emulation @ Ars Technica
- The Best PC Games of 2018… So Far @ TechSpot
- Humble Spooky Bundle
- The manchildren of Metro Exodus are adorable idiots @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Cyberpunk 2077 pictures and details shared at Gamescom @ HEXUS
- BattleTech expands with Flashpoint in November @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Steam Gets Built-in Tools To Let You Run Windows Games on Linux — Now Available in Beta @ Slashdot