Adware Doctor is a $5.00 app available on the macOS app store which is a rip off of Malwarebytes for Mac with some extra data harvesting included. The app will grab all your history from Chrome, Firefox, and Safari and send it off to parts unknown as well as a list of running processes which implies it can get around Apple's sandbox implementation. The researchers who discovered this also informed The Register of other apps which have the same behaviour, including Open Any Files, Dr. Antivirus, and Dr. Cleaner. The new version of macOS, due in the near future, should ameliorate this issue but in the mean time you should check what apps you have installed on your devices and reconsider your next purchase on the App Store carefully.
"As Wardle – an expert in Apple security – noted, Adware Doctor, which sold for $4.99, was the fourth-highest grossing app in the "Paid Utilities" category of the macOS App Store."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Tor browser arrives on Android to protect your secret searches @ The Inquirer
- Official AMD Athlon APU with Radeon Vega Graphics Tech Briefing @ TechARP
- It's been 5 years already, let's gawp at Microsoft and Nokia's bloodbath @ The Register
- How to Create a Windows 10 Virtual Machine with VMware Player and VirtualBox @ Techspot
- Intel to outsource 14nm chip production due to tight supply @ DigiTimes
- Popular VPNs Contained Code Execution Security Flaws, Despite Patches @ Slashdot
- Wyze Cam Pan: Is this $30 security camera worth a buy? @ Techspot
- Tt eSPORTS X COMFORT AIR Gaming Chair Review @ NikKTech