Final Thoughts and Conclusions
Cooler Master’s refreshed MasterWatt power supplies are clearly targeted towards budget-conscious consumers but proved to deliver solid performance. All four MasterWatt power supplies feature quiet, semi-fanless operation, semi-modular cables, 80 Plus Bronze level efficiency, and come backed with a 5-year warranty.
The MasterWatt 650W power supply comes with a very good assortment of semi-modular cables with a combination of sleeved fixed and flat ribbon-style modular cables. The two PCI-E cables feature 16 AWG wire for reduced voltage drop. The 120mm Cooler Master Silencio fan uses a Loop Dynamic Bearing (LDB) for long life and quiet operation. The power supply also features semi-fanless operation when power output is below 15%. During our tests, the MasterWatt power supply delivered very good voltage regulation along with good AC ripple suppression.
On the down side, the 80 Plus Bronze efficiency certification seems a little outdated in 2018 but I suppose there is still a market. And the 85°C rated capacitors (mostly Teapo) wouldn’t be our first choice, but again this unit was designed to keep the cost low.
The MasterWatt PSUs are currently available, and the 650W unit is selling for $57.90 USD (amazon.com October 2018).
Overall a fairly solid, basic power supply with minimal frills.
• 650W Continuous DC output at up to 40°C
• Quiet operation, Semi-fanless below 15% load
• Very good voltage regulation
• Good AC ripple and noise suppression
• Quiet 120mm Loop Dynamic Bearing (LDB) cooling fan
• Semi-Modular cables (PCI-E cables use 16 AWG wire)
• Safety protections: OPP, OVP, UVP, OCP, OTP, and SCP
• 5-Year warranty
• 80 PLUS Bronze certified (getting a little dated)
• Teapo caps with 85°C rating
Cooler Master MasterWatt 650W Bronze Power Supply
Our thanks to Cooler Master for sending us the MasterWatt PSU to review.