If you are one of those wise souls who held of on installing to the new Windows 10 Update, so that others can act as the canaries in the coal mine we now have some advice. If you are running an NVIDIA GPU, ensure you have plenty of space on your OS drive. There have been reports of users losing files from their drives if there is not enough space for the entire 10GB update to download to; if there isn't enough space then the update deletes all non-system files. The Inqurier is quick to point out that the tool you would use to resolve this problem, Disk Cleanup, no longer exists once you perform this update.
There have also been reports that systems with certain versions of Intel Display Audio drivers have seen greatly increased CPU usage after the update and this has been draining batteries quickly. According to The Register, Microsoft is no longer pushing the update to machines that would be affected. You can check out the driver version here.
"Usually though, we'd expect it to affect a small number of users. This time however, the problems seem to come from anyone with an Nvidia GPU and anyone… erm… with files."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Microsoft's Windows 10 October 2018 Update reviewed @ The Tech Report
- Ways to Free Up Storage Space on Windows @ Techspots
- Apple's New Proprietary Software Locks Kill Independent Repair On New MacBook Pros @ Slashdot
- That Yahoo group messaging app you didn't ask for is ready @ The Inquirer
- Crazzie Pro Gear GTR-1 @ Modders-Inc
- Gamdias Achilles RGB Gaming Chair @ TechPowerUp