Lenovo let a secret out today, the model numbers of mobile Coffee Lake S chips, of which we have only officially seen desktop parts so far. The i7-9550U, i5-9250U and i3-9130U will be available in their new IdeaPad family and while Lenovo may have labelled them 8th gen, they are very obviously 9th gen parts; this could imply they are also build on their 14nm++. The Inquirer did not find much more information than the part names, we do not know frequencies or TDPs but as this is a refresh you can expect an iterative improvement in both.
"While Intel has revealed desktop variants of its ninth-generation Core CPUs, which are effectively a refresh of its Coffee Lake S architecture found in eighth-gen processors, it has yet to reveal details of laptop variants."
Here is some more Tech News from around the web:
- Check your repos… Crypto-coin-stealing code sneaks into fairly popular NPM lib (2m downloads per week) @ The Register
- Downloading the newest Wi-Fi protocols: 802.11ax and 802.11ay explained @ Ars Technica
- Samsung to invest $40m in Niantic in 'exclusive' games deal @ The Inquirer
- Microsoft reveals terrible trio of bugs that knocked out Azure, Office 362.5 multi-factor auth logins for 14 hours @ The Register
- OCC Reviews the HiKam A7 HD WiFi Waterproof IP Camera