Final Thoughts and Conclusions
EVGA has entered the SFX small form-factor arena with three new power supplies in the GM Series. Ranging in output capacities from 450W up to 650W, the GM Series PSUs are all housed in a standard SFX chassis and are intended for compact, small form-factor builds.
The EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM power supply easily met the criteria for 80 Plus Gold efficiency certification and the power supply delivered good voltage regulation. While not as tight as some other comparable models we have reviewed recently, all measured values were well within the ATX recommended guidelines. AC ripple and noise suppression was also good up to the max rated output of 650W. And the power supply features a good assortment of all modular cables, which includes four 6+2 pin PCI-E connectors.
The 650 GM power supply operates in a silent fan-less mode up to about 30% load so it’s silent at low power. While delivering medium loads the 650 GM cooling fan stays relatively quiet but at high power it becomes very noticeable.
And like we’ve said about other SFX power supplies, even though an SFX to ATX adapter bracket is included, the modular cables are intentionally short and may not be long enough for use in larger cases.
The MSRP for the three EVGA GM Series power supplies is currently:
• EVGA SuperNOVA 450 GM ($109.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GM ($119.99 USD)
• EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM ($129.99 USD)
As the SFX small form-factor power supply market continues to grow so does the competition. During the past year we have seen new units introduced from SilverStone (the original leader), Corsair, Seasonic, and others. Shop around and you are sure to find a suitable unit for your next small form-factor build.
• 650W of continuous DC output at up to 40°C
• Easily meets 80 PLUS Gold certification criteria
• Good voltage regulation (±3%) on the three primary outputs
• Good AC ripple and noise suppression
• Relatively quiet 92mm cooling fan with dual ball bearings
• Automatic ECO Mode Fan Control allows fan-less operation at low power
• Compact SFX chassis measures only 100mm deep
• Good assortment of fully modular cables with (4) PCI-E connectors
• All Japanese made capacitors on the main PCB
• SFX to ATX adapter bracket included
• 7-Year warranty
• Voltage regulation not as tight as some comparable models
• Cables may be too short when used in a larger case via the SFX to ATX adapter
EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM SFX Power Supply
Our thanks to EVGA for sending us the 650 GM PSU to review.