We Didn’t Quake Like This Back In 1997
Operation Alien Overlord 2060
It has finally arrived on both Steam and NVIDIA; coming to an RTX card near you for free! The ray traced updated to the old Strogg smashing game, Quake II, is locked and loaded and ready to go. If you don’t own the game, you get a chance to try the first three levels which were released as shareware way back in the day. If you already own the game, or are willing to pony up the $5 or $6 and change to buy it then you can play the entirety of the game including multiplayer in all its ray traced glory.
You will need an RTX card to enjoy the new lighting effects however, an investment slightly larger than the old FPS. You will have fun; either because you are visiting an old friend or because you are getting your first look.
“We are giving Quake II back to gamers with a bold new look, as Quake II RTX,” said Matt Wuebbling, head of GeForce marketing at NVIDIA. “Ray tracing is the technology that is defining the next generation of PC games, and it’s fitting that Quake II is a part of that.”
More Tech News From Around The Web
- Infineon Buys Cypress For $10B @ Hackaday
- Apple accused of censoring negative reactions to its $999 Mac Pro stand @ The Inquirer
- It’s that time again: Android kicks off June’s patch parade with fixes for five hijack holes @ The Register
- New RCE Vulnerability Impacts Nearly Half of the Internet’s Email Servers @ Slashdot
- Google pauses Android Q beta rollout following ‘bootloop’ borkage @ The Inquirer
- Mad King Leo pulled the wool over HP shareholders’ eyes, ex-CEO Whitman tells court @ The Register
- Fact-Checking Website Snopes Is Locked In a Nasty Legal Dispute @ Slashdot
Will this also work (albeit as a slideshow) on the GTX models that received the software raytracing driver update? Or are they doing an RTX only validation check of some kind?
In case anyone else was wondering – According to TechReport, the answer is no check. Works (albeit poorly) on the GTX 10×0 cards that had software raytracing support added back to them.