Stuck In Windows S? You Are Not Alone!
Sucks To Be You
If you have recently discovered you a trapped in a world where you can only install or run UWP programs grabbed from the Microsoft Store, you are suffering from the same issue as many others. It seems that the “Switch out of S Mode” page on the store no longer loads and it is not just supposed to be a quick and easy way to switch from Windows S to a real version of the OS … it is the only way.
Without that page loading, anyone who picked up a low cost machine with the more, ah, secure version of Windows 10 will find themselves Chrome-less. There aren’t that many popular third UWP apps and as The Inquirer points out, no other browsers but Edge. To add insult to injury, you may find your organization blocks access to the Microsoft Store altogether, which leads to more complications.
No fix yet, hopefully that will change soon.
In fact, given that most browsers aren't UWP compliant, thanks to the rather draconian rules Microsoft insists on, there's even a question about whether the glitch represents a breach of competition. After all, Edge works juuuuust fine.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- Fed-up graphic design outfit dangles cash to anyone who can free infosec of hoodie pics @ The Register
- Your Amazon Dash Buttons are about to become even more pointless @ The Inquirer
- Fake Graphics Cards And How To Fix Them @ Hackaday
- Ouch. Reinstalling Windows 10 again? By 2020, a ‘cloud download’ may be all you need @ The Register
- Google Project Zero: 95.8% of All Bug Reports Are Fixed Before Deadline Expires @ Slashdot
- Ars reviews three cell signal boosters—and they actually work