Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 5G To Take On Intel’s Core i5
A Qualcomm Powered Acer Spin 7
Qualcomm recently released a slide deck showing their new Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 5G significantly outperforming a 10th generation Core i5 in total system performance. This is something to take with an entire salt lick handy, as there is no indication what total system performance actually is and a single benchmark is not a great basis to make a laptop purchase decision from.
The performance per watt is a bit better of a metric, if the new Snapdragon can come close to the performance of the unnamed Core i5, it is doing so at a mere 7W TDP. Still, we don’t know if the chart is comparing similar systems or if there might be other components exacerbating the difference in power consumption. It is not hard at all to believe that a Snapdragon system uses very little power and the 25 hours of battery life while under full load is not unimaginable.
Connectivity includes Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.1, as well as an optional 5G or LTE cell modem of the same model as the first generation of Snapdragon 8cx. The Spin 7 from Acer it will power is a 14″ laptop with a 1080p IPS touchscreen and a 360-degree hinge which will be handy as it will come with a Wacom pen that offers 4,096 levels of pressure sensitivity. There is no word on the price nor when we can expect to see it on the market.
The Register is looking forward to getting their hands on one.
The new chip, dubbed the Snapdragon 8cx Gen 2 5G, promises modest performance improvements over its predecessor, particularly when it comes to power consumption.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- The Screwdriver You Don’t Need, But Probably Want @ Hackaday
- OnePlus 8T reportedly launches in October with 120Hz OLED, Snapdragon 865+ @ Ars Technica
- Nintendo is Releasing a 35th Anniversary Super Mario Bros. Game and Watch @ Slashdot
- Apple: Yeah, about those ground-breaking privacy features in iOS 14 – don’t expect them until next year @ The Register
- Potential Contenders For Battery Supremacy @ Hackaday
- Lenovo Releases First Fedora Linux ThinkPad Laptop @ Slashdot
Wow! Qualcomm really has a back for names don’t they.