PC Shipments Up 26.1%, Obviously The PC Is Still Dead
91.6 Million Computers Shipped Q4
Sure, it is hard to locate enthusiast parts at the moment, but that has not slowed the sales of laptops, desktops or workstations this year. For the first time in a decade PC sales saw a sharp increase globally and not just by a couple of percentage points. Staying at home seems to have led to a wave of upgrading, with older laptops and desktops being bought up in record numbers, fuelled by those shifting to working from home as well as the large increase in gaming over this past year.
Interestingly the market shares of the top companies did not really shift, as everyone saw roughly the same increase in sales. Lenovo owns 24% , HP 22.4%, , Dell hit 16.6%, Apple accounted for 7.6% and Acer came close to matching them at 6.9%. The sales were not simply the traditional low end white box productivity machines, as higher end gaming machines made up a fair chunk of the sales as well as Chromebooks.
IDC expects this trend to continue this year, not just from enthusiasts picking up entire systems to be able to get their hands on the new GPUs and CPUs which are so hard to purchase on their own but also households dealing with working and learning from home. Ars Technica has links to the study and a bit of the recent history of PC sales here if you would like to know more.
During the Consumer Electronics Show this week, research firm IDC released a report on worldwide traditional PC sales in 2020, and it tells a rosier story than we've been used to in recent years. In the fourth quarter of 2020, PC shipments grew 26.1 percent over the same period last year.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- Google Reveals Sophisticated Windows and Android Hacking Operation @ Slashdot
- Qualcomm eyes challenge to Apple, Intel with $1.4 billion deal for chip startup @ Reuters
- Microsoft emits 83 security fixes – and miscreants are already exploiting one of the vulns in Windows Defender @ The Register
- 100GB doesn’t always cut it in these remote-working times so Microsoft has upped OneDrive file size upload limit to 250GB @ The Register
- Backers of Planet Computers’ Astro Slide 5G phone furious after shock specs downgrade @ The Register
- That’s it. It’s over. It’s really over. From today, Adobe Flash Player no longer works. We’re free. We can just leave @ The Register
- Windows 10X for Single Screens Leaks @ Slashdot
- Under that pile of spare keys and obsolete cables is an IoT device: Samsung pushes useful retirement project for older phones @ The Register
- Linksys Velop AX4200 Wi-Fi 6 Whole Home Mesh System @ Tweaktown