Patched Your Chromium Yet?
They Announced It Friday, So Better Double Check
If you happen to have a Chromium based browser on your system, and chances are that Edge is hanging around somewhere even if you haven’t installed Chrome, Vivaldi and many others, you should double check you have the newest version. The version of Chromium you should be looking for is 88.0.4324.150, which you should be able to check by pasting chrome://version into a tab, the browser should redirect you to the proper details page if you aren’t using Chrome.
The vulnerability was discovered by software architect Mattias Buelens back in late January, as some type of heap buffer overflow. The details are somewhat lacking, apart from the general type of vulnerability but hopefully we will see an update on this page at some point. We may need to wait for the full 14 weeks specified by Google, though there is hope we will know sooner.
Unfortunately, there have been attacks spotted in the wild so you should really check to ensure you are not being Brave, but instead foolhardy. Pop by The Register to garner more information on this vulnerability as well as several other recently mitigated issues.
"Google is aware of reports that an exploit for CVE-2021-21148 [the zero-day; more details below] exists in the wild," said the loquacious adtech firm in a statement.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- A Bug in Lenovo System Update Service is Driving Up CPU Usage and Prompting Fan Noise in Laptops and Desktops, Customers Say @ Slashdot
- Windows’ cloudy future: That Chrome OS advantage is Google’s to lose @ The Register
- Scientists Develop Transparent Wood That Is Stronger, Lighter Than Glass @ Slashdot
- Cisco reveals critical bug in small biz VPN routers when half the world is stuck working at home @ The Register
- Don’t scrape the faces of our citizens for recognition, Canada tells Clearview AI – delete those images @ The Register
- Oops: Google admits failing to wipe all Android apps with location-selling X-Mode SDK from its Play Store @ The Register
- Interfacing A Z80 CPU With The Raspberry Pi @ Hackaday
- Terraria dev cancels Stadia port after Google disabled his email account for three weeks @ The Register
- Fitbit Versa 3 @ DVHARDWARE
thank you so much I almost looked up spaghetti recipies and didn’t want my life hacked lol great job I love your shirt and the fluffs (on the shirt, I had to specifiy because Justin didn’t know what I was talking about, lol)