AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution In Action Plus New NVIDIA DLSS And Ray Tracing Support
On Old And New Cards, Both AMD And NVIDIA
As is tradition, AMD’s answer to a NVIDIA feature is to develop something similar, but which works for cards from all vendors. Their answer to NVIDIA’s DLSS is FidelityFX Super Resolution, and just like FreeSync it will work on both AMD and NVIDIA cards; at least to a certain extent. Sebastian provided you with a look at what it is, and what AMD says it will do for your gaming and some sites, such as TechSpot, had a chance to try it out on the handful of currently supported games. Grab their new driver to test it out for yourself or keep reading for more information.
While some other sites below tested a selection of the games that FSR currently supports, TechSpot focused on how Godfall benefits from AMD’s FidelityFX Super Resolution on a number of different cards. On the AMD side they chose the 6800 XT, 5700 XT, the Vega 64 and the old RX 570 while from NVIDIA you will see the RTX 3080, RTX 2070, GTX 1660 Super and the GTX 1070 Ti. It is the results from those older cards which is most interesting as there is actually a chance you own one, as opposed to the heavy hitters from this current generation.
The effect of the Performance setting is rather incredible, the RX 5700 XT and Vega 64 can actually push average frame rates above 60fps at 4K with all the quality settings turned up, while the GTX 1660 Super and 1070 Ti sit around 50fps at 4K. If you are running a more reasonable 1440p then all cards are fully capable of providing playable frame rates with the Performance setting and some are able to manage Balanced or Quality. Even the RX 6800 XT and RTX 3080 get a nice boost by enabling Ultra Quality, in some cases going from an unplayable 4K experience to a tolerable one.
On the other hand, if NVIDIA, Valorant and Mortal Shell are more your thing, then check out the new Game Ready driver they just dropped. It adds DLSS and Ray Tracing to the later and Reflex Boost for the former. In addition, DLSS arrives in DOOM Eternal, LEGO Builder’s Journey, and Rust. You’ll find that on NVIDIA in the usual spot.
Make no mistake, FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) is AMD's direct competitor to Nvidia's DLSS, a feature that's increasingly become a key selling point for GeForce graphics cards. It's AMD's turn to show what's it got.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- AMD FSR FidelityFX Super Resolution Quality & Performance @ TechPowerUp
- AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution Tested @ Kitguru
- AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution @ Guru3D
- AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution: Team Red Begins Fighting NVIDIA DLSS @ Tweaktown
- Apple Developing a Whole New Kind of MacBook Air @ Slashdot
- It’s 2021 and a printf format string in a wireless network’s name can break iPhone Wi-Fi @ The Register
- Amazon Prime Day 2021: All the deals that are actually worth your time @ Ars Technica
- Hyundai Acquires Boston Dynamics, Company Most Famous For Robot Police Dogs @ Slashdot
- Foxconn builds stuff for everyone. Now it finds vaccines for Taiwan, and TSMC’s chipped in, too @ The Register