The A500 Mini, Say Hello To A New Amiga Retro Console
25 Built In Games, Plus Support For WHDLoad Games
If you miss your old Amiga 500 from 1987 and aren’t looking to play the eBay game to see if you can get one in working condition at a reasonable price then you should drop by HEXUS for a look at the newly announced A500 Mini. The package contains the familiar looking A500 Mini, a wired USB classic mouse, a wired precision 8-button gamepad, a USB-A to USB-C power cable and an HDMI cable. It doesn’t come with a separate power supply, but traditionally products in the ’80s never shipped with batteries included so that makes sense in a way.
So far they have announced 12 of the 25 games, which include Alien Breed 3D, Another World, ATR: All Terrain Racing, Battle Chess, Cadaver, Kick Off 2, Pinball Dreams, Simon The Sorcerer, Speedball 2: Brutal Deluxe, The Chaos Engine, Worms: The Director’s Cut, and Zool: Ninja Of The ”Nth” Dimension; the rest will be announced closer to launch.
Retro Games, who also released the C64 Mini back in 2018, have set the price at $140 and will release the console some time next year.
There is still a lot of nostalgia for the Amiga computers, and at last it has been targeted by one of those mini console form factor devices that have proliferated over recent years. HEXUS received an email describing the new THEA500® Mini from Retro Games on Tuesday, from the same people who brought out the C64 Mini in 2018.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- How Turtle Rock Studios are reinventing the zombie co-op shooter in Back 4 Blood @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Back 4 Blood beta impressions: A template for potential co-op greatness @ Ars Technica
- Post-apocalyptic golf game Golf Club: Wasteland tees off in September @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Humble Early Access All-Stars Bundle
- Pathfinder: Wrath Of The Righteous introduces its Mythic Transformations @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Humble Remarkable Roguelikes Bundle
- Age Of Empires 2: Definitive Edition adds new civilisations – the Poles and the Bohemians @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Carrier Command 2 review: all lost at sequel @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Death Trash early access review: an uncaring lump of meat that you long to embrace @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
the 500 was one of the ones I didn’t have much access to back in the day. The TRS, the Vic, the II, The kPro, those were always around pre 286, but the 500 was outside my circle, I think I might have played on the keyboard once or twice, but no serious time.
History aside I’m wondering if this unit will actually have a functioning keyboard or are those keys just cut into the casing?
Also, I WANT THAT MOUSE, HOLY SHIT IT’S SO SEXXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does it have a ball? I mean it’s probably a laser thingy but if it had a ball that would be sooooooo tits! it’s got 2 buttons. So very very tits
@collie man the Keyboard is not functional, no Idea about the mouse, I assume it is optical.