Fractal Torrent Nano RGB Mini-ITX Case Review
The Smallest Member of the Torrent Family
Another week, another video review. Yes! VIDEO. But what is video, anyway? According to the online etymology dictionary, the word comes “from Latin video ‘I see,’ first person singular present indicative of videre ‘to see’.”
But this is supposed to be about a computer case, not the origin of words in our language (a fascinating subject). Anyway, CASES! And not just any case, a miniature (well, sort of) version of the excellent Torrent high-airflow case from Fractal (or Fractal Design, if they haven’t totally re-branded yet), which we reviewed last year. This one is mini-ITX, and it is called Torrent Nano.
We hope you enjoy the video, embedded for your viewing pleasure below (direct link here):
- 3.5″/2.5″ drive mounts: 1 (included)
- Dedicated 2.5″ drive mounts: 2 (included)
- 5.25” drive mounts: 0
- Expansion slots: 3
- Motherboard compatibility: mITX / mDTX
- Power supply type: ATX
- Front interface: 1x USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C, 2x USB 3.0, Audio
- Fan Support:
- Total fan mounts: 1x 180 mm, 4x 140 mm, or 5x 120 mm (with included brackets)
- Front fan: 1x 180 mm or 2x 140/120 mm (with included bracket)
- (1x Dynamic GP-18 included in standard versions, 1x Prisma AL-18 included in RGB version)
- Top fan: N/A
- Rear fan: 1x 120 mm
- Bottom fan: 2x 140/120 mm
- Dust filters: Front, Bottom
- Radiator Support:
- Front: Up to 240/140 mm
- Top: N/A
- Rear: 120 mm
- Bottom: Up to 240/280 mm
- Component Clearance:
- PSU max length: 200 mm
- GPU max length: 335 mm with front fan mounted
- CPU cooler max height: 165 mm
- Cable routing space: 29 mm
- Cable routing grommets: Yes
- Fixed velcro straps: Yes
- Tool-less push-to-lock: Side panels
- Captive thumbscrews: HDD and SSD brackets
- Left side panel: Steel or Tempered glass (RGB version: Tempered glass only)
- Right side panel: Steel or Tempered glass (RGB version: Tempered glass only)
- Case dimensions (LxWxH): 417 x 222 x 374 mm
- Net weight:
- BK TGD/TGL: 6.0 kg
- WT TGC: 5.8 kg
- BK Solid: 5.5 kg
- Torrent Nano Black TG Dark Tint (FD-C-TOR1N-01) – $119.99 USD
- Torrent Nano RGB Black TG Light Tint (FD-C-TOR1N-02) – $129.99 USD
- Torrent Nano White TG Clear Tint (FD-C-TOR1N-03) – $119.99 USD
- Torrent Nano Black Solid (FD-C-TOR1N-04) – $119.99 USD
“The Torrent Nano is built to air cool your small build as efficiently as possible. Main standouts include an unobstructed base intake, an open front grille and one of our 180 x 38 mm Dynamic PWM fans (Prisma for RGB version) custom-made to achieve maximum air cooling while maintaining controlled noise levels. Enabling highly efficient cooling with or without a water-loop, the Torrent Nano is a perfect fit for air cooling aficionados looking for a small case.”
Fractal Torrent Nano Overview
Here are the key features of the Torrent Nano (via Fractal):
- Fan and LED lights on TG versions fully controllable through motherboards supporting addressable RGB (5V)
- RGB TG version includes a 180 mm Prisma ARGB PWM fan
- Seamless tempered glass panels with bolt-free top-latching mechanisms for easy handling
- Front fan brackets allow for unblocked airflow to the larger fan while catering to standard radiator sizes
- Removable top bezel and routing clips with velcro ties make for easy installation and cable management
- A sturdy, vibration-damped drive tray supporting a single HDD or dual SSDs with two optional mounting positions
- A dedicated SSD bracket with room for 2x 2.5” drives included
- Three bridgeless expansion slots
- The GPU is situated just above the bottom air intake, allowing it to breathe
- GPU support bracket that helps your GPU stay level
- Dust filters for front and bottom easily accessible by removing the front
- Integrated support for a water-cooling reservoir on the motherboard tray
- Includes a PWM fan (180 mm) for balancing performance, cooling and noise
You can read full specs in the drop-down above, or by visiting the product page, linked here.
The exploded view of the Torrent Nano reveals a fairly simple, and very flexible, design
Moving right along to performance, this is a high-airflow design after all, so cooling is excellent. Noise levels will depend on how you populate the enclosure, as well as how you tailor your fan profiles. The included 180 mm front intake fan is PWM, allowing full control of speed, and by extension, noise.
The front fan is pretty quiet at idle, though the system (CPU and front fans were both set to “normal” in BIOS setup, and linked to CPU temp) was up in the mid 40’s dBA under load. Not quiet, but I was going for maximum cooling.
In closing, the Torrent Nano is (in this editor’s opinion) a stylish high-airflow option, though it is on the large side for mini-ITX. Our sample with tempered glass and RGB lighting retails for $129.99, with other models $10 less.
The Nano offers, in addition to excellent airflow, quite a bit of cooling flexibility, support for large system components, and it looks and feels well made. Now, aesthetics are subjective, but I really like the look of this design. The only real negative in my testing was PSU interference with the hard drive bracket, but we did find a workaround (you’ll have to watch the video).
Overall there is a lot to like about the Torrent Nano, and it gets our “gold award”.
This is what we consider the responsible disclosure of our review policies and procedures.
How Product Was Obtained
The product is on loan from Fractal Design for the purpose of this review.
What Happens To Product After Review
The product remains the property of Fractal Design but is on extended loan for future testing and product comparisons.
Fractal Design had no control over the content of the review and was not consulted prior to publication.
PC Perspective Compensation
Neither PC Perspective nor any of its staff were paid or compensated in any way by Fractal Design for this review.
Fractal Design has not purchased advertising at PC Perspective during the past twelve months.
If this article contains affiliate links to online retailers, PC Perspective may receive compensation for purchases through those links.