Predator Apollo RGB DDR4 RAM Quick Look: A New Samsung B-die Option
High Quality, Low Latency DDR4 From An Unexpected Source
Who would have guessed that Acer of all companies would be selling DDR4 gaming memory? Though, if Lexar and HP can do it, why not? Well, actually it’s BIWIN. Technically Predator Storage, with this being the Apollo series. From BIWIN and Acer. Confused? I certainly was when creating this video, where I attributed the whole thing to Acer.
In reality, Acer partnered with BIWIN to create Acer-branded storage and memory products like this Predator Storage RGB RAM (here’s a link to that press release). Anyway, it’s very good – with the same speed and timings of the excellent G.Skill Trident Z Neo kit we looked at last year.
The YouTube video is embedded below, direct link here.
- RAM: DDR4
- DIMM: U-DIMM
- Frequency: 3200 MHz / 3600 MHz / 4000 MHz
- 16 GB: 8 GB x 2
- 32 GB: 16 GB x 2
- 64 GB: 32 GB x 2
- Rank: 1R x 8 / 2R x 8
- Timing: CL14 / CL16 / CL17 / CL18
- Working Temperature: 0 °C to 85 °C
- Working voltage: 1.35 V / 1.45 V
- Dimensions: 146 × 51.7 × 8.6 mm
- Weight: ≤65 g
- Warranty: Limited Lifetime
- Certifications: CE, FCC, RoHS, VCCI, RCM, BSMI
$164.99 USD, Amazon.com
“Apollo is our first high-end RGB overclocking memory module. Its design is inspired by cyberpunk style: vibrant colors, martial appearance, and long straight lines. The result is a powerful visual design to match the power of performance.”
If you prefer not to watch the video, here are some of the highlights of this product and our findings, beginning with the official – and rather lengthy – list of features from Predator Storage.
- A NOBLE BLOODLINE – Apollo is our first high-end RGB overclocking memory module. Its design is inspired by cyberpunk style: vibrant colors, martial appearance, and long straight lines. The result is a powerful visual design to match the power of performance.
- DAZZLING LIGHTING – Supports ASUS Aura, Gigabyte RGB Fusion, MSI Mystic Light and ASRock Polychrome Sync integration software. Users can manually change the settings according to their personal preferences and create the most beautiful and eye-catching colorful light-effects. Shape your own unique and refreshing color style.
- CUSTOMIZABLE OVERCLOCKING – Apollo uses high-quality Samsung B-die ICs to achieve both stability and high speed, with excellent overclocking performance. The modules cope easily with various high-frequency and overclocking scenarios, offering gamers and enthusiasts the highest performance.
- Some Apollo low-frequency DRAM modules may use different memory ICs, please pay attention to the difference or consult online customer service.
- ULTRA-LOW TIMINGS – Thanks to the high-quality Samsung B-dies, Apollo RGB memory modules have ultra-low timing characteristics. The lower the timings, the faster the memory performance.
- XMP 2.0 EASY OVERCLOCKING – With Intel XMP 2.0 one-click overclocking, you can experience extreme overclocking in just one step. Pre-defined memory profiles help gamers and enthusiasts achieve the best performance.
- MASTERFUL CRAFTMANSHIP – The customized and reinforced 10-layer PCB board easily exceeds industry standard and reduces signal attenuation. 15 μin gold-plated contacts and the upgraded manufacturing process improves the oxidation resistance for added stability and best data transmission.
- CERTIFIED COMPATIBILITY – The Apollo Predator modules are ready for the latest Intel & AMD platforms and are compatible with the latest motherboards of mainstream board manufacturers such as Gigabyte/Aorus, Asus, MSI and ASRock. Additionally, they have passed the QVL certification of many motherboard manufacturers.
- PURE ALUMINUM HEAT DISSIPATION – The surface of the Apollo modules is hollowed out increasing airflow to assist the cooling effect. The high-quality pure aluminum heatsink has a thickness of 1.2 mm to achieve the best heat dissipation effect ensuring an excellent experience for gamers, overclockers and enthusiasts.
- TOP OF THE TOP – Apollo’s sharp lines can be a vivid inspiration and its performance is outstanding, maintaining stability under the most intensive usage.
- DUAL CHANNEL CONFIGURATION – The purchase of Apollo memory kits helps users easily build dual channel memory configuration to avoid problems such as poor compatibility, while greatly improving memory performance.
- STRICT QUALITY – Predator memory series products undergo a strict production process with compatibility, reliability and other product tests. This ensures a better quality control and more reliable and stable product performance.
The surprising thing, if you suspected that a new entry into the DDR4 market would be using commodity components, is that this memory is actually really high quality stuff! Ignoring the design of the heatspreaders and RGB lighting, the modules are built using nice 10-layer PCBs that are outfitted with nothing short of the legendary Samsung B-die ICs.
If you know about Samsung B-die, you know that it means tight timings. As with the Neo kit alluded to in the intro, this 3600 MT/s kit has a CAS latency of just 14 (14-15-15-35 @ 1.45V). These are impressive numbers, and the performance was as expected for these ICs at the rated speed – which worked flawlessly in our test Ryzen board (ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi) by setting the XMP equivalent.
With the only difference in performance likely the 16 GB capacity of our sample vs. the 32 GB capacty of the previously tested G.Skill Trident Z Neo kit, I did not repeat all of the tests – and you can look at the previous review for an idea of how a kit like this can impact system performance.
What about pricing? Currently, the Acer Apollo RGB 3600 MT/s CL14 kit we looked at here retails for $164.99. This is a premium price, even for CL14 memory at this speed. I found that HP (of all brands) offers a kit with Samsung B-die ICs – and tighter timings of 14-14-14-34 – which is currently available on Newegg for $149.99.
Still, if pricing is the only complaint, the market will (probably) offer an eventual correction. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see the price drop in the near future, just as we did with Lexar’s entry into the DDR4 market, last year. Otherwise, this Acer Apollo kit is outstanding, and I am very impressed that they went with Samsung B-die memory. I hope memory kits like this continue to be available – and become more affordable – as we near the end of the DDR4 life cycle.
This is what we consider the responsible disclosure of our review policies and procedures.
How Product Was Obtained
The product is on loan from Predator Storage/BIWIN for the purpose of this review.
What Happens To Product After Review
The product remains the property of Predator Storage/BIWIN but is on extended loan for future testing and product comparisons.
Predator Storage/BIWIN had no control over the content of the review and was not consulted prior to publication.
PC Perspective Compensation
Neither PC Perspective nor any of its staff were paid or compensated in any way by Predator Storage/BIWIN for this review.
Predator Storage/BIWIN has not purchased advertising at PC Perspective during the past twelve months.
If this article contains affiliate links to online retailers, PC Perspective may receive compensation for purchases through those links.