Moonbreaker, A Space Pirate Themed Tabletop Style Computer Game
This Is What Happens When Brandon Sanderson Hangs Out With The Subnautica Devs
Moonbreaker is not just different from Subnautica, it’s different from just about anything on the market right now. It is a turn based tactical shooter but the rules are based on tabletop games, not reworked X-COM game mechanics. There is no grid, your model can move anywhere that it has the movement range to reach. That not only changes how you move around the map, it means the terrain and objects are not stuck on a grid either. There are some maps where you don’t have straight lines anywhere.
The animation, if you want to call it that, is very much in theme with tabletop miniatures. The model’s base rocks when they shoot and some have simple animations, such as a giant frog mount with a moving tongue. You can play against an AI or take on another person in PVP and there is even somewhat of a single player campaign. You play by placing your hero Captain on the board and then summoning six of your 10 crewmembers as the game progresses.
You can get more details on this game and the world designed by Brandon Sanderson at Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN.
In an hour long, hands-off preview presentation, I got to see just how tabletoppy Moonbreaker is. The board you're on has landscaped features designed to look like a custom build you'd see in Games Workshop on a Friday night; the water looks like poured expoxy resin, and the banks are covered in plants made of that grassy dust stuff.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- Every new trailer from Gamescom Opening Night Live 2022 @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Saints Row game review: An open-world mess beyond redemption @ Ars Technica
- Saints Row (2022) review: a fun but sadly confused reboot @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Pentiment preview: Obsidian’s historical, religiously charged murder mystery @ Ars Technica
- Total War: Warhammer 3 Immortal Empires is an impressive achievement in dedicated grand-strategy creation @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- F1 2022: PC graphics performance analysis @ Guru of 3D
- Dune: Awakening is a survival MMO set on the sandy world of Arrakis @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Humble Tactical Combat Bundle
- Homeworld 3 understands space battles are coolest around megastructures @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Humble ValiantVR Bundle
- The Surviving Mars devs are making a survival sim about marooned astronauts @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN
- Valve Steam Deck Review: How Does It Game @ The FPS Review
- Space citybuilder Ixion is launching on November 16th @ Rock, Paper, SHOTGUN