Hello USB 4! The Orico Montage MTQ-40G 2TB Portable SSD
External Storage That Can Meet Or Beat Internal Is Here
Tweaktown are one of the first to benchmark an external USB 4 SSD, the Orico Montage MTQ-40G which contains what is likely to be a WD SN730. They took their stack of SSDs and placed them in their Thunderbolt enclosure to compare the performance of a mere USB 4 connection. To start, they tested it on it’s own in CrystalDiskMark, which rates the drive at 3,166 MB/s sequential read and 2,884 MB/s write, jumping to 13,119 MB/s and 27,437 MB/s random.
The only test which the Montage MTQ-40G struggled at was the PCMark 10 data drive benchmark, though even still it was solidly in the middle of the pack. In other tests such as BlackMagic and DiskBench it trounced the competition, remaining in the top two or three for the other tests. There is one small problem however, this speed comes at a cost. The MSRP is $540 for the 2TB model, though you can reduce that somewhat with deals currently in place.
If you are curious about the colour scheme, look up Mondrian.
USB4 is here, and man, is it fast! Join us as we get acquainted with the first USB4 device we've ever tested. Here's our look at the Orico Montage MTQ-40G.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- Silicon Motion SM2267XT DRAMless Laptop SSD @ Tweaktown
- Kioxia BG5 1TB @ Kitguru
- TeamGroup MP44L 1TB @ Tweaktown
- ADATA Legend 960 2TB SSD @ Tweaktown
- Lexar NM800 PRO 2TB M.2 NVMe SSD Review @ NikKTech
- Solidigm P44 Pro 2TB SSD @ Tweaktown
- Lexar NM800 Pro 2TB PCIe Gen4 @ ServeTheHome
- Kingston Fury Renegade HS 2TB @ Tweaktown
- WD Black SN850X with Heatsink 2TB @ Kitguru
- Datalocker DL4 FE Encrypted External Hard Drive @ TechPowerUp
- Kingston IronKey Vault Privacy 80ES 480GB USB 3.1 Gen 1 Portable Hardware Encrypted SSD Review @ NikKTech
- Sabrent Rocket SDXC V60 UHS-II 128GB, 256GB & 512GB Memory Cards @ Tweaktown