Perhaps Today Chrome Will Let You Save To Your Network
This Alphabet Doesn’t Include The Letters U, N, Or C
Today should see the release of Chrome 110, though as of yet there is no sign of it. While most Chrome updates, and those of web browsers in general, go unremarked this particular update is one that a lot of people are hoping will come out soon. That would be because the current version of Chrome has a rather nasty bug, you can’t download a file directly to a UNC path.
If you use Chrome you may have noticed a lot more system file warnings lately, specifically when you try to save a file to a network drive or a path to one of your more cloudy file shares. The bug flags these downloads as system files and presents you with an error when attempting to save directly to a UNC path. If you download it locally and then copy it over all is fine, but for devices with limited storage, such as Chromebooks, that might not be a great workaround.
Alphabet was inclusive with this bug, as it is not just Windows machines which are effected by the bug. Chrome will update automatically, but if this problem is bugging you then check that update button periodically throughout the day as it is scheduled to be fixed today.
The Chrome file bug, presumably residing somewhere within the Blink rendering engine's file system code, has been assigned to be fixed, ideally by January 31, 2023, when the stable cut of the version 110 code has been scheduled.
More Tech News From Around The Web
- Hacker Finds Bug That Allowed Anyone To Bypass Facebook 2FA @ Slashdot
- Microsoft disables verified partner accounts used for OAuth phishing @ Bleeping Computers
- GitHub Says Hackers Cloned Code-Signing Certificates in Breached Repository @ Slashdot
- WAN router IP address change blamed for global Microsoft 365 outage @ The Register
- Microsoft Edge is getting split screen mode – here’s how to enable it @ Bleeping Computer
- Experts warn of steep increase in Java costs under changes to Oracle license regime @ The Register
- Foldable iPad Could Arrive as Early as Next Year @ Slashdot
- Chromebook SH1MMER exploit promises admin jailbreak @ The Register
- Classic Calculators Emulated In Browser @ Hackaday
- The Anti-ChatGPT Appears? Researchers Fights Back With ‘DetectGPT’ @ Slashdot
- How to control your smart home without yelling at a dumb voice assistant @ Ars Technica